SARS Announces Shorter Filing Season
On the 4th of June 2018, SARS acting head, Mark Kingon, announced that SARS would be reducing the tax filing season for individuals who file manually. In his press statement he says that SARS’ main objective is to make tax compliance a simple and routine experience for the tax payer.
According to SARS findings, during the 2017 tax season, 1,6 million people who did not need to submit a return did so. SARS is therefore trying to reduce this number with a shorter filing season to better manage the turnaround time between submission and finalised assessment and are also encouraging Tax payers to file their returns using the online eFiling platform.
- Tax Season 2018 will be shortened by three weeks, from 1 July to 31 October 2018.
- This impacts all individual non-provisional taxpayers.
- This deadline also applies to provisional taxpayers who opt to file at a branch.
- Provisional taxpayers who use eFiling have until 31 January 2019 to file.
- The deadline for manual submissions is 21 September 2018.